Everyone is using Zoom – a video/audio call + collaboration tool now. Many companies try to introduce a work from home solution as quick as possible. And, Zoom is a perfect solution because its ease of use and its call/video quality. We tried to use Skype before and we were very frustrated with its service quality. We then jumped to Zoom and really like the solution.
I am curious to learn more about the person who founded Zoom. His name is Eric Yuan, a Chinese immigrant to the US. These are what I learn from his story.
- It starts with solving a problem. Eric got the idea of creating Zoom when he was in China. He had to visit his girlfriend (now his wife) who lived 10 hours away.
- Never, never give up. To fulfil his vision, he determined to move to the US. His VISA applications were declined 8 times. He got it in the 9th effort – 2 years later.
- You have to listen to your customers. When he was working with Webex and then Cisco, he heard a lot of customer’s frustrations about the solution at the time. He tried to introduce a new, better solution, but the company didn’t accept the idea. So, he left and founded Zoom.
- You don’t have to hire the highest qualified people on paper. Instead you should hire those with self-motivation and a self-learning mentality.
- Company’s culture is the number 1 thing that determine the success of the failure of a company. And, it starts from the top.
- If your employees are not happy, you cannot expect any success from anything.
He also encouraged us to jump into the startup journey. It’s hard, super hard but it’s worth it. This is something I want to do too, to start my own business. I just don’t have the courage to do it yet.